Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Wall Mount Design for an Electronic Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

ern1234

Computer
Jan 24, 2012
US
I'm currently working on the wall mount for an electronic terminal. With my current implementation, I am mounting the device flush to the wall with an aluminum bracket. This doesn't seem to look right, because the surface of the wall isn't always perfect. In other implementations I've seen, these electronic terminals are mounted to the wall on a bracket of some sort that protrudes from the wall. Is there a reason for this? Is it not advisable to mount an electronics terminal (with touch screen) flush to a wall?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While what you are trying to describe may be perfectly clear in your mind's eye, to folks like us who have never seen whatever your whatever is, well, not so much.

How about a sketch or picture.

Go to a retail store that sells a lot of flat screen TVs.
Buy an example of every wall mount they sell.
Study the designs.
Then get back to us.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Think of how any useful electrical device, located on a wall and intended to be manipulated by humans, is currently mounted to said walls. Think light switch, or thermostat controls. They are typically mounted to a rigid box, which itself is nailed or screwed onto the 2x4 or 2x6 studs behind the drywall. You want to achieve that kind of security. Have a separate, rigid bracket that the user screws/anchors to a wall or even to studs behind the wall, and your box then clips/slides/screws/bolts/adheres to that bracket. At a minimum.

ern1234,

Where and how you mount anything is or at least, should be determined by who is going to use it and how, how portable and moveable the thing should be, and what structure is available for attachment. Also, what structure is not available for mounting or attachment. Don't forget to work out where the studs are in your wall.

Your terminal should be mounted somewhere close to your operator. If you operator will use the terminal a lot, you should investigate a comfortable working position.

Your question is completely open ended. Mounting any piece of equipment is not just a matter of mechanics of materials or hardware.

Critter.gif
JHG

One way to avoid the bumpiness problem is to not use a flat surface. If you look at most things that are wall-mounted, like thermostats and alarm controllers, the backs have standoffs through which the mounting screws are placed.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back