Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Helpfull tip for anyone having trouble renaming files / folders in Windows Explorer 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidinindy

Industrial
Jun 9, 2004
US
Do it in Solidworks Explorer.
Spent way too much time fighting the "folder can not be renamed because it is in use..." message, before thinking to try to do it this way.
Seems to be a common problem in Windows 7 and 8, and Microsoft is showing no interest in fixing it.
Now I've renamed a dozen folders in ten minutes versus fighting with it a whole day.

David
Connect with me on LinkedIn. Quote: "If it ain't broke, I must not've fixed it good enough"

I 'always' use SW Explorer for renaming. I teach other others here to do the same.
It's the only efficient way to do it. Using Windows Explorer is a PITA sometimes.

I agree with Scott, writing it up in the FAQ area is a good idea.

Chris, CSWA
SolidWorks 14
SolidWorks Legion

Chris,
For Solidworks file, yes... We always rename in Solidworks.
These were our job folders, (just documentation, no Solidworks files) and we wanted to put a more little detail into the folder names to describe what the job was.
We've been putting it off because of the bug in windows, but I finally had a bit of downtime in to spend trying to figure it out.

Guess I could write up a short FAQ for it.

David
Connect with me on LinkedIn. Quote: "If it ain't broke, I must not've fixed it good enough"

For an 'on the fly' change, if you remember to close your Preview Pane before you try to rename, it usually works. Somehow Windows sees the bitmap as an open file. Sylvia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back