Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Helppp with calculating significance of the results

Status
Not open for further replies.

anagari

Computer
Oct 21, 2010
US
Hello,

I am doing down-stream analysis of genomic data. I have 'X' number of occurrences in our 2000 gene sequences of interest.
I have generated 50,000 random sets of 2000 gene sequences each and counted the number of occurrences in them. So the average number of occurrences in these 50,000 sets is 'Y'. I performed Fisher's exact test to calculate the significance value.

Could anyone please suggest other statistical test to come up with some significant value? Your reply will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
anagari

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Two things:

Is the data normal or non-normal? I don't work with genomic data, so I have no idea what you are/not measuring. Compare the median if it's non-normal data.

Secondly, perform a one sample T test as long as you have the population's standard deviation and median/mean. This will tell you if your sample's median/mean and standard deviation are statistically different/same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back