Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hemispherical heads...but only internal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElCidCampeador

Mechanical
May 14, 2015
IT
Hi,
I'm checking a pressure vessel acc. to ASME VII Div.1: it is a simple pipe with to forged flat heads welded at the top and at the bottom.

These 2 heads are flat only externally because inside they are rounded like an hemisperical head.

Is it enough to check heads just acc. to UG-32 or do you think it's necessary also acc. to UG-34 (flat heads),e.g. figure b-1/b-2?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ElCidCampeador, sounds like a U-2(g) situation to me, though I doubt applicability of UG-34. Where did you get those things? Why not use pipe caps? Why make it hard? :)

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

We have seen such caps on our vessels as well in the past, if I understand your description correctly. Can you a sketch?
I’d say that if UG-32 passes, UG-34 is obsolete. But I’ve never given it a good thought so I’ll grab a beer and watch the other contenders share their thoughts.

Here is a sketch of the part:
sketchhem_obykm5.jpg

OK, just as I thought. Yes weve had similar ones, but then more semi-ellips or another shape. Anyway, I still believe that a pass of UG-32 would not require a UG-34 check, because, essentially, your head isnt flat. The focus, I believe, in this issue should be on where the pressure acts. And it primarily doesnt act on the flat side.

Thanks for the feedback ECC. Good luck on the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back