Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hex Callout - How to Interpret? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvoluteSpline

Mechanical
Jan 2, 2018
US
Hi All,

A seemingly simple dilemma, but I was not able to find a firm answer. Is the "HEX" callout in the attached drawing to be interpreted as flat-to-flat or point-to-point? I cannot seem to find a solid reference on how to interpret this. Nothing in ASME Y14.5 from what I could tell. The drawing specifies "HEX" but it only shows a side view. I'm assuming .50" from flat-to-flat.

Thank you in advance.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f6c23ab5-65ba-4591-a3ff-465de166b3c6&file=Hex_Drawing.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is indeterminate. At the least, if the part is made with .50 across flats and that is wrong, the part can be reworked to .50 across corners. That said, I don't have any idea why anyone would dimension across corners. Confounding is that the section appears to be across corners.

InvoluteSpline,

The ASME Y14.5-2009 "square symbol" is used with the dimension across flats, so it's probably a reasonable extension of principle that "HEX" would be used the same way.

What sort of drawing did you find this in?

pylfrm

Always good practice to provide sufficient views/dimensions/notes/etc on your engineering documents so that no interpretation is required. Usually doesn't require much additional effort.

In the example shown, even if you assume the hex dimension is .50 across the flats, there is nothing specifying what the flange profile is between the local hex flats. Are the hex corners sharp, rounded, or some other profile?

Thank you everyone for the replies.

pylfrm - Not much else was provided with the attached picture other than some basic notes and a rudimentary title block, so I cannot say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back