Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hex Nuts have Debris in them? Is this normal? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cervantis

Mechanical
Mar 18, 2009
US
We purchase a MILD STEEL 1/2-UNC 2B Hex Nut from a reputable supplier. We do not spec a GRADE of Nut. The nuts are getting complaints that there is "debris" in the threads. I cant find any information that states or discusses the "allowable" amount of "specs" or fine tiny bits of metal allowed. Does anyone know if ASTM A 563 addresses allowable bits of debris in the various GRADES. Logic tells me you get what you pay for, so I am not logically expecting a pristine clean nut. The nuts pass a thread gage, but I have had to tap the nut while on the gage to allow the nut to freely move, and have notice fine grit on my gage. The nuts are pickled in oil.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you don't issue or reference a cleanliness spec, you get what you get.

In a commercial environment, we used to use MS numbers for fasteners, and tell our vendors we didn't care about the packaging and inspection requirements, we just wanted stuff to fit.

Our assemblers were told to just discard any unthreaded screws, and squawk over the wall (to me) if anything required more labor than that.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Unless you own stock in the gauge manufacturing company, I'd probably be cleaning up those nuts before you run the gauge on them.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

Why not put in your PO, nut are to be visibly clean, free of oil and debris
Expand on lighting, how close you look (18 inches) and magnification as you feel you need to.

Issue non conformance to supplier, go gauge won't go due to debris in threads. Return for cleaning or backcharge for your cleaning labor.

Your complaint isn't that they got your hands dirty, it's that you can't inspect / they fail inspection as received.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back