Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hexahedron Dominant Meshing with Hexahedron and Tetrahedron Elements only 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

netsonicyxf

Structural
Feb 19, 2010
US
In most cases the Hexahedron Dominant Meshing will include Hexahedron, Pentahedron, Pyramid and Tetrahedron elements.

I want to
generate the Hexahedron Dominant Meshing with Hexahedron and Tetrahedron only.
or
convert the Hexahedron Dominant Meshing into a new mesh with Hexahedron and Tetrahedron only.

Which software should I use and how to achieve it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello!,
Still today meshing with HEXAHEDRAL elements general solid bodies is not inmediate, the technology takes its time.
Since FEMAP V2022.1 (January 2022) we have the NEW command HEX MESH BODIES that perform a HEX dominant meshing of solid geometry with little to no simplification or subdivision into smaller and simpler regions. Simcenter Femap has collaborated with other development organizations in the Siemens Simcenter Portfolio (like FloEFD for SOLID EDGE) in order to offer this exciting technology to the Femap users community, I am produd to have been collaborating in this process of technology leveraging!! .

The hex-dominant mesher first fills a solid volume with as many hexahedral elements as possible, then fills the remainder of the volume with wedge, pyramid, and tetrahedral elements, as needed. This process creates high quality elements which can be sent directly to the Simcenter Nastran solver with no additional interaction from the user or manual refinement of the mesh.

The following image shows the following:
• To the left the traditional workflow of splitting solid geometry into sections so Femap could setup connected mesh sizing and sweepable areas. This can be time consuming, and is essentially an intuitive process.
• To the right the command HEX MESH BODIES eliminates the need to split the geometry, one push button command, reaching stats like 98% HEX elements by volume, the litle rest are tetrahedral TET10, wedge and pyramid.
• The performance of this command is impressing: it uses the full cores of the processor, the TASK MANAGER shows 100% activity CPU in ALL cores, impressing!!.

HEX-AUTO_g7vvsf.png

mallado-hexaedrico-dominante-femapv2022_1_zxwjhg.png

You have a video here in my YouTube channel:

Also, the MAPPED HEX REFINE command can be used to split mapped hex elements created by the HexMesh Bodies command to produce a more refined hex mesh in a selected local area. The command splits all the hex elements, and produces a more refined hex mesh in the local area. Checking REPEAT REFINEMENT automatically refines down another layer.

mapped-hex-mesher-femapv2022_1_nkyqy8.png

Best regards,
Blas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blas Molero Hidalgo
Ingeniero Industrial
Director

IBERISA
48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: Blog de FEMAP & NX Nastran:

Status
Not open for further replies.