Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HFA Settler Interface Level Measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

GGMurphy

Petroleum
Feb 21, 2003
GB
I want to measure the interface levels in a Hydrofluoric acid settler. Due to the nature of HFA a non-contact measurement device is strongly preffered. So far the only non-contact solution that appears to be capable of measuring the various interface levels is a Vega nucleonic density measurement device. It produces a density profile of the vessel from which the interface between the HFA - Emulsion Layer - Hydrocarbons can clearly be seen. The trouble with this method is the obvious risk surrounding radioactive material and the high cost (£60k).

Can anyone suggest a alternative method or a nucleonic device that might be less expensive?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Please forgive me since I don't know a lot about hydrofluoric acid, but I'm good at suggestions <G>:

Can you use a differential pressure measurement? Diaphragms are available in a variety of materials.

Ultrasonic can give you a contactless level, but I doubt you could get to the interface point.

Check out They use microwave absorption techniques to determine oil/water interfaces. Perhaps they could suggest something.

Then, nuclear sounds like your only alternative. Yes, it's expensive and it's a hassle with the radioactive sources (and paperwork!), but it works well.

. . . Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back