Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

HI 9.8 Clear Liquids - Pump Bay Style Intakes - Alternate materials of construction for divider wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

hondashadow1100vt

Civil/Environmental
Dec 30, 2008
US
I am writing to inquire if anyone has any experience (or is aware of any) where the HI 9.8 pump bay divider walls have been constructed out of any material other than cast-in-place concrete. The standard is silent on the material and width of these features. I've always made them out of concrete and only seen them designed/built that way. I am wondering if anyone has seen it otherwise (e.g., maybe fiberglass baffle walls for the dividing walls, etc.). I will be curious to hear any/all feedback. Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Guess you could make the dividing walls out of any material you want, but why would you bother, I see it as introducing more problems in construction, support of the pumping equipment and attachment to the forebay etc.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Thanks Artisi. I tend to agree. Seems like cast-in-place concrete is the obvious choice. Perhaps pre-cast concrete would also make an adequate choice. I also tend to agree that anything else could be used, particularly given the fact that hydraulics labs sometimes use waterproof plywood, acrylic, etc. though their life cycle permanence is less demanding in nature.

One possible anticipated outcome of this thread is mere cricket noises...which could be very informative.

In offline discussions that I have had thus far with others, floor to ceiling concrete bay divider walls is what others have seen. No exceptions have come to light yet.

Offline, most experiences received conform to full height concrete walls. Various possibilities have been speculated about, subject to modeling to verify adequate performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back