Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi all I have a 5 winding transf

Status
Not open for further replies.

simatic7

Computer
Jun 24, 2009
AU
Hi all

I have a 5 winding transformer and in the software I am working there is no possibility to model 5 winding transformer. Hence I need a work out such that I can replace the 5 winding transformer with 2 three winding transformers.
The name plate of the transformer is attached as a link. It is a start-Delta-Delta-Delta-Delta winding of ratings 10-2.5-2.5-2.5-2.5, 33/0.315kV/0.315kV/0.315kV/0.315kV winding .

Can anybody suggest me literature or some guidelines to model the transformer with three winding transformer.

Regards

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e72f850c-d088-473a-9b3c-217435907437&file=Five_winding_Transformer.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you should get more details of transformer. Most probably it will be an axially split 2 numbers of 3 winding transformers put one above the other with common magnetic circuit(core) If so you can model it as a 3 winding transformer.

Five winding transformers are not common in th power industry. As a mater fact, I did not recall to see any of those in of the US and international utilities that we are familiar with.
Three winding transformer are more common. Perhaps we can suggest to use their modeling techniques as a reasonable approach to be extended to 5 winding units. Consider use 5-two windings transformer and define the mutual impedance between each winding.

Perhaps the links below could be used for reference:

1)h2)

I know Five winding transformers are not common. I wrote to few people however could not get any concrete answers. As cuky2000 suggested , I had looked those documents long before I posted this question in this forum.
I was thinking of modelling the five winding transformer with two three winding transformer.
In my case the transformer is 10MVA , 33kV star and four nos of 2.5MVA Delta, 0.315kV in secondary. So I thought of replacing this 5 wining with 2 nos of five MVA so I can get
2 x(5MVA/2.5/2.5MVA) however that was not a good solution for me as It would require two input. Hence I thought of replacing with three nos of three winding transformers such that a three winding will feed two three winding hence I will have only one input and 4 output secondary. However I am not sure how I will split the impedances. As Five winding tx will have 10 impedances if required to accurately modelled.

I am not sure about how the vector group have to be considered.

Can I replace 10(Y)-2.5(d)-2.5(d)-2.5(d)-2.5(d), 33/0.315kV/0.315kV/0.315kV/0.315kV winding with 3 three winding TXs as follows such that
Tx1-10MVA/5MVA/5MVA (All star connected)
Tx-2- 5 MVA/2.5MVA/2.5MVA (Star- Delta -Delta)
Tx-3- 5 MVA/2.5MVA/2.5MVA (Star- Delta -Delta)

Tx1 will supply Tx-2 and Tx-3.
This way I get one HV and 4 LV delta connected however I am not sure how can I divide the impedances.

Any thoughts

In reality inside the transformer it will be two numbers of identical 3 winding transformers, with primary connected in parallel. What is meant by two inputs? In 3 winding transformers you can easily segregate the impedances to each circuit as Z1,Z2 and Z3 from the three combination values of Z 1-2, Z 1-3 and Z2-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back