Hi everyone, I am looking for co 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinov

Dec 18, 2006
CA

Hi everyone,
I am looking for companies that can produce realistic
marketing products. Like reproduce any the 3D model from glass or high quality coloured
plastic. All I found is companies selling pens, cups ,USB which is not what I'm
looking for. Rapid prototyping did not produce good finish and the paint cracks.
Parts are little 'ugly'
My team is planning to take these miniatures to some coming shows, they want something attractive
Any help will be appreciated,
Zinov

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Zinov,

What is the size of the parts you are trying to make? Depending on the RP method, you will get varying finish of the products. Alternatively, if your part requrements are small in numbers, then you can try Silicon rubber moulding (Room Temperature Vulcanising Rubber moulds) / Rapid Tooling technique. In this technique, resins will be used to make the products. You can get parts in different colours, even transparent parts can be made in the method. Just google for the different RT service providers in your region.

All the best.

As mentioned there are a bunch of different rapid prototyping processes & materials.

Most RP processes tend to build up in layers so can live visible lines on finished parts but at least some suppliers will do a secondary op to reduce this.

We use this company who have several processes and materials.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Thanks to All,
The parts size is approximately 3.5''x1.5''x0.5''. It is an assembly that shows some <wing> mechanism.
RP followed by sanding and painting may produce something acceptable.
but not durable. Paint cracks and the model becomes non-presentable.
we paid around 5000$ for scaled samples (10.5x4.5x1.5) with high resolution RP and painting.
We used the model once and then it cracked as paint do not adhere very well to resine (not like metals).
Estimated volume is low about 50 parts.
For the RTV does it work for assembly?
Do you think that I can made my parts form glass,
I think they will look great from glass, especially when marked with the company colored logo.
But I cannot find any person who can do it.
I was thinking about high quality scupltured wood. But again, no reliable source.
Any suggestions are appreciated
Thanks,
Zinov

Have a decent finish rapid prototype made. Then use that as a plug and make a mold out of plaster, silicone rubber or whatever. Then cast your "show" parts from acrylic.

Try the guys over at Firstcut Link

They can do rapid CNC parts out of plastic or aluminum. I don't know what finishing processes they offer though, everything we got from them was engineering prototypes so we didn't care how it looked.

Doug

Zinov,

For the part size you have mentioned, SLA would be a better RP technique. In SLA, you can get the parts made of resin, the finish and the quality will be very good. You can use this as the master for RTV moulds and can get the subsequent parts. The parts made out of RT can be used for form & fitment tests and they are reliable. Resin parts can be made out of RT moulds which will be translucent and will look very well when used for exhibits.

If the item is not of very complex geometry, you can try making it out of thin Acrylic sheets, they are available in different colours and thickness. But for the quantity you have mentioned, the cost of making them might shoot up [sad]

Hope this helps [thumbsup2]

What colors do you need, at least some RP processes can be done in colored material.

There are also a range of materials for various RP processes, maybe a vendor that has a range of options could advise which will take paint.

You can RP metal parts, though I suspect price would be high.

Not deliberately plugging them as such, but the company I linked to have several different processes & materials, maybe one of them would work for you. You might even give them or a similar place a call to ask.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back