Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hi guys, I have 2 probes that I wan 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space213

Mechanical
Oct 27, 2017
US
hi guys, I have 2 probes that I want to install into a pvc pipe for a hydroponic grow operation but I need a corporation stop style system so the client can keep the system running while still being able to take out the probe from the pipe and clean/maintain it but not have any leaks.
I am new to design and have a 1.5" pipe that I need to build a Corp stop/Cord grip/Pipe saddle around. any advice on how I can properly do this? are they easy to manufacture/machine?
My thing is I have no clue but how does it all work? The Probes are both wired to a controller box that will be mounted above the pvc pipe up to a wall so literally installing the cord and the probe so its mounted into a pipe is interesting to me without any leakage and still keeping the system on

I need 3 components: (x2) of each to mount two different probes
1. Pipe saddle
2. Cord Grip Liquid Tight
3. Corporation stops
Could you guys guide me on how I can go about this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The term corporation stop was new to me, but googling it provided a lot of useful data and websites from vendors of retractable probes and quills.

e.g.
Just go and buy one suitable for retrofit and install it in accordance with the vendors instructions.

You need to be a bit more informative about what you need to know.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

SAF-T-FLO specializes in manufacturing chemical injection quills and sampling probes for chemical feed systems in the municipal, industrial, and commercial water treatment industries. You want a sampling probe, not a corporation stop.

Sampling Probe

There are many companies that make them so that it is probably less expensive to buy one than to make you own.

corp_stop_instl_pgpwt6.jpg

corp-stop-diagram_bybnub.jpg

hi guys,

so below is a screen shot of how I want to mount the P.H. and Temperature probe into my pvc pipe circuit. I was told to mount the probes horizontally into the pipe but I dont know how the literally design it or what parts I need because the probes need to be mounted to where the clients can take out the probes and clean them while the system is still running so Corp stops, cord grips, and valves were introduced to me last week.

Based on the screenshot below
probe_mount_xdpq0b.jpg

how would you go about it designing it? Thank you

What are the design fluid properties and temperatures?

Not sure what the image shows, maybe you can label it?

Review this link, it should help to answer your questions:

Conax

bimr,

it is made for hydroponic grow operations so working fluid is water.

I have labeled the probe and drew an arrow to where the pipe is where it needs to be mounted into. The probe is oriented horizontally from the top view and needs to be mounted into the pipe. I am not sure how to go about it, maybe add a TEE fitting and a Corp stop/Cord Grip from there?

i will check out the link

If you need horizontal, stop with the 'saddle anythings' and install two TEEs as you suggest.

On something that size I'd put in bypasses with a single ball valve in the middle of the bypass and two ball valves to isolate the normal route containing the probe. To service, open the bypass close both the isolation valves and remove the probe. Bring a pail to catch any dribbles as you'll need it for the dripping scummed-out probe anyway. Think about providing useful clearances for servicing.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Retractable sampling probes are used on applications where downtime (to remove the probe) are not possible for various reasons (expensive downtime, toxic fluid, high pressure, high temperature, 24-Hour plant operation, etc.)

Don't understand why this would be necessary for a hydroponic operation.

I was just today by my boss we dont need to keep the system running 24/7 so the corporation stops are useless. I will just mount them as the picture shown starting with:

1. Tee fitting which reduces to a 1/2" fitting
2. Threaded bushing into slipping onto the 1/2" tee fitting and other end of bushing is threaded
3. gland fitting threads into bushing and other end is compression fitting for the probes to mount onto.

What do you guys think?

A far simpler, cheaper, and more robust approach is to dip the probe into the hydroponic tank. No seals, no pressure, and you are measuring where you actually need to know what you are measuring.
I assume you are measuring pH. ph control loops are one of the most difficult to make work well. There is plenty of literature on the web, which you would be wise to review. Measuring pH in a pipe after an injection quill is often useless. All you will get is a square wave signal of way-high and way-low pH.

Agree that these probes are ordered with long cables which are used to hang off handrails into tanks. The location where the probes are installed should be where the fluid has some movement, not a stagnant water area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back