Hi Guys, I want to know what is 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasab

Chemical
Oct 7, 2019
SA
Hi Guys,

I want to know what is the practical use of knowing velocity profile in pipes in engineering?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Velocity profile?

Care to expand a bit, maybe a diagram?

Are you a student?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

The parabolic velocity flow profile inside a pipe is usually not important, as flow is almost always turbulent, so the profile is typically quite blunt. Its a more parabolic profile when in laminar flow ranges.
It's usually sufficient to work with the average velocity, unless you are trying to determine heat transfer characteristics, the fluid has a high viscosity, or you are trying to insert chemical injector tubes.
What specific problem do you have?

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Hi LittleInch,

My question is general, want just to know the use of the knowledge of velocity distribution in engineering, such as engineering analysis or instruments installation or design etc..

Hi 1503-44,
Thanks for response.
As above, My question is general, want just to know the use of the knowledge of velocity distribution in engineering, such as engineering analysis or instruments installation or design etc..

If you need to know exactly where to position a pitot tube, or flow meter it can be quite important. , as well as predicting pressure drop in highly viscous and non-Newtonian fluids.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Probably more important in something like HVAC ducts where there is a notable velocity profile.

Most longer distance pipelines are nearly always turbulent unless you're transporting goop.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

@ LittleInch (Petroleum), Ya in most cases flow is turbulent, so the velocity profile is Flat parabolic, this is beneficial for heat transfer or mass transfer.
Thanks for your reply.

Hi,
The integration of the velocity profile is useful to calculate the flow rate knowing the section of the pipe.
Typical application is gas flowrate using pitot tube.
Breizh

Hi pierreick (Chemical),
Ya i saw this we can obtain the flow rate thru the integration of the velocity profile.
thanks for your point.

Hasab,

Knowing velocity profile in non-mixed tubular reactors will also give you the min/max/average residence time of the reactants, which can significantly affect design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back