Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi, I really need some input on:

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluff

Mechanical
Oct 8, 2003
US
Hi, I really need some input on:

What is the state of the art in active AV mounts were limited space and weight is the main consideration? Who are the leaders in this field?
The Av mounts are to be used to support an optical bench under broadband excitation and fairly high g loads (10g ish)
I believe the power reqirements may be the main problem...

Thanks in advance

John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why is weight and size such a big requirement? Your optical bench probably weighs a few hundred pounds and occupies 4x8 in floor space? Not to mention the concrete pad?

TTFN

Think i need to clarify thing a little! The term optical bench may not have been correct... The bench i refered to is ptobably better described as a isolated (by the required av mounts) bed within a airbourne electro-optical system. I think 4x8 cast iron tables would causes some take-off problems...

Now, you're talking proprietary and/or patent information.

In general, there are two schools of thought on this subject, hard-mount and soft-mount. Since linear vibrations do not necessarily affect line-of-sight jitter, there is some disagreement as to which way is best.

The angular motions are dealt with using air-gap torquers controlled in a servo loop with 2 or 3-axis gyros as the instrumentation. Sometimes the payload is mounted ona smaller set of gimbals to remove some of the inertia. The outer gimbals are then driven by a separate set of motors and follow the inner gimbal.

The original patents date back to the mid-70's and there has been little change since then, concept-wise.

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back