Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hi, im new using pls pole and want

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munir7361

Electrical
Apr 3, 2016
DO
Hi, im new using pls pole and want to make a load case (.lca) file, but first i want to make sure the meaning of some items such as:

1 Dead Load Factor
2. Wind area factor

I have read that the dead load factor consist on taking account the weight of every element that is installed permanently on the pole;
about the wind area factor i want to make me sure that this column refers to the shape coefficient...

i would appreciate if anyone here can help on this theme.

Regards,

Munir

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This part of the forum is not very active and I noticed you posted the same question twice. Read section 5.1.3 from the user's manual about the wind on the structure.

Typically, you do not open a POL model and just start adding loads to an LCA file. If you want to add a simple load on a joint, and a pressure on the pole, you can do it in the LCA, but usually you use the power of the PLS software and open a XYZ T-Line model that includes the pole or tower and Edit the POL model from within PLS-CADD. When you do it that way, all the loads are transferred to PLS-POLE and you analyze it. The person that setup the line Criteria will determine the loads that are sent to the TOWER and PLS-POLE modules.

I assume your company has licensed PLS-CADD and the other modules and you can call or write their tech support to get help. I have used the software for many years and know generally how to do things but they are adding features very fast and it is tough to keep up. Look on their web site for classes on the software.

Hi, i am modeling a wood pole structure in pls pole, the structure is tangent double deadend - in line guyed -, so the matter is that i don´t know how to define the effetive lenght factor ´´K´´ for the Gere - Carter nominal method for this case. I have read the RUS Bulletin and pls pole manual but it does not explain how to get the factor for this kind of model.

I upload a picture for a better understanding what i´m talking about.

Picture_k_factor_for_Gere_Carter_method_gzjws2.png

I would appreciate your help over this topic.

Regards,

Munir

I don't do wood poles very often so it is not in my area of expertise. When I do them I take the defaults the program offers. You can call tech support and they may be able to guide you through the selection of the parameters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back