Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi Temperature Adhesive

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigM

Materials
Mar 30, 2009
US
I have to carry out tensile testing at 210°C. The maximum cure temperature of my composite will have been 240°C.

Can anyone recommend a good adhesive for bonding tabs and testing at this temperature?

M

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We tentatively selected TenCate EX-1543 for use at this sort of temperature. At 400°F (204°C) it's listed as having a shear strength of 1900 psi (13.1 MPa). Its RT shear strength is listed as 28.1 MPa, so it's not the most brilliant performer. However, if your specimens are not unusually thick it should be adequate. We did not get around to actually testing it. As a cyanate ester it's probably quite expensive.

NB: I cannot now find it on the website. They do list higher temp polycyanates RS-53 and TC4015. This latter has a claimed shear strength at 500°F (260°C) of 2600 psi (17.9 MPa).

You could also look for BMI film adhesives. Hexcel HP655 might work.

Have you tried the Cotronics products? I've used 4625 with great success. Bear in mind these are mostly epoxies but should work as adhesives for your application.

Graydon Tranquilla P.Eng Electrical
Industrial Oil and Gas Industry,
APEGBC, APEGGA, APEGS, APEGM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back