Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hi there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasperrupp

Geotechnical
Jun 4, 2013
US
I just graduated as a civil engineer 2 months ago and now I’m still in the process of looking for a job. I was told that getting a job in this field is tough. My friend said that most companies are looking for people who have experience in the field. But how about me? Does that mean I don’t have any chance of getting hired? So is experience a hindrance for me to be hired by a company especially in Sydney? What are the standards many companies nowadays? Is experience the only thing that they look into when hiring employees? Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

New graduates have nothing going for them except a degree and whatever first impression you can give. Dress nicely and go knock on doors. Have your resume available and even if you don't have experience, make sure that your resume is neat, all words are spelled properly and the format is somewhat standard. Don't get cute with it...be professional and present yourself thusly.

Someone will hire you. Don't give up. Also, don't think your first job will be your last job...you'll probably go through several before you settle in.

Ron's advice is good. In addition, think about how your resume will draw attention. "Hi there!" won't cut it, and won't get you many responses on this site.

Might I suggest that you look into construction companies, mining companies, etc. that might be looking for entry level staff to assist them on QC work - lab, etc. This can give you an in - develop experience in the lab and then work up from there. One thing you MUST have - a passion for your work and a thirst to never stop learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back