Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi This is an elemental question I

Status
Not open for further replies.

killswitchengage

Geotechnical
Jan 5, 2015
DZ
Hi
This is an elemental question I know but can somebody please clarify how do you compute the normal forces used in a direct shear test? Is it the effective vertical stress at depth z plus the surcharge?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

normal, means normal (or perpendicular) to the plane of shear. The plane of shear in a direct shear test is horizontal so normal force is essentially the vertical stress.

Thats right.....eh, doubting myself now :)

Normal load = stress * area. Watch your units.

If you want to apply a normal stress of 1000 psf over an area of 0.0203 ft2 (dia = 1.93"), the load would be 20.316 lbs. Our equipment has a beam ratio of 10, so we would apply 2.0316 lbs.

morecoffeplz - I figured but for us old guys like SlideRuleEra, having used slide rules gives a better idea of accuracy. Too many today - and you see this in technical papers all the time - do not know "where to cut off the decimals" . . . I saw a paper of the flooding years ago in the Mississippi where the levees failed; the engineering report reported densities to a hundredth of a pound! Tell me you can tell max dry density to that accuracy. Take care morecoffeeplz

Yea effective overburden but what about the surcharges? Should you apply Burmister/Boussinesq type of analysis to compute their effects at designated depths or what

It would be more conservative to reduce the surcharge based on boussinesq.

But please explain what the application is? Are you trying to calculate the friction angle for use in a bearing capacity question and whether or not the applied surcharge will fail the soil?

Actually my point above is incorrect, it shouldnt make a difference to phy if you include the surcharge or not.

If you add more overburden stress or confinement the shear stress will increase. However phi will still be the same as all you will do is add a higher point to your failure surface

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back