Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hi, What is the meaning of the c 3

AbdullahE

Mechanical
Dec 22, 2022
TR
Hi,

What is the meaning of the continous line under the weld symbol. I have seen dashed line under the symbol but ıt is the first time i saw a continous line.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

weld_anc1vw.png

I can't find find that specific weld symbol in a Google search, but this diagram from the AWS comes the closest to your image:

It would probably be a grind flush flat finish (though a machined finished should have an "M", Grinding a "G", and chipping a "C") with a V prep.

Oddly, the curved implies a concave finish, though almost always a convex (raised) curve is allowed/required so the weld finished surface after grinding or machining does not reduce the effective final wall thickness. (Perhaps a concave surface is needed for a sliding or a clearance fit, when any raised piece will cause an interference with a future part or assembly? )

Could we be chasing a typo ?.... Or perhaps a symbology choice error by a CAD monkey ?

What do you think of a new symbol that cannot be found in the ancient and venerable AWS standards?

OMHO, I think that it is somehow an error by a newbee ...

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

The root of the groove weld is finished flush and the face of the groove weld is specified as concave. Both, because no method of mechanical finishing is specified, is as welded. The contours are preferences. As noted in one of the other responses, had there been a letter adjacent to the flush symbol or the concave symbol, it would indicate the method of achieving the required contour.

Best regards - Al

Back