Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi z bus Ct configuration 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

B4rancher

Electrical
Aug 25, 2010
US
I've encountered a bus Ct application that I need some help wrapping my head around. Two breakers with 2000:5 contributions to PVD's. Hi side transformer ct's DO Not contribute directly, are 1200:5 and are wired in parallel to the 1200:5 taps on the BKR ct's.
I see this is necessary to accommodate the mis-match of ratios and I see what appears to be an auto transformer affect making this work but I need to be in tune to what all is working together here before I remove one Bkr from service completely while maintaining my bus protection. I'm lacking sufficient Ct engineering theory to reconcile this. Any advise shall be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes it is possible to use CTs of different ratios. See

SEL-587Z Relay Application With Multiratio Current Transformers
Application Guide - This application guide deals with incorporating mixed ratio current transformers in the protection scheme and obtaining a satisfactory operation of the relay with high security against external faults.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back