Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

HIC & SSC both test requirement in a single heat number Steel Plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

glaxosmith

Mechanical
Aug 26, 2007
SA
My client is one of the leading world Oil & gas company (Middle east).Currently I am working on one of its offshore project having field with wet sour H2S content . In data sheet of the slops tank ( UL-142 tanks D.P: 2.5 PSIG)& material showing HIC and SSC resistant. we are buying plate A516 GR 60 from Arcelor Mittal with HIC testing per NACE TM 0284 & Client specification and MTC states that material compliant to NACE MR 0175/ ISO 15156-2 & HIC test qualified
Also as per NACE MR 0175/ ISO 15156-2 section 7 Selection of pre qualified material resistant to SSC
" No additional laboratory testing of pre qualified material selected in this way require"

Now my question is

1) If the material is already Tested & passed for HIC test as per NACE TM 0284 & client specification also MTC stated for NACE MR 0175 / ISO 15156-2. DO we still required separate testing for SSC as per NACE TM-0177???.

As per my understanding for HIC qualification of plates it requires extra care during production phase of plate and SSC will automatically qualified once NACE MR 0175 section 7 calls for no separate testing as MTC already stated for HIC pass test result and compliance to NACE MR-0175/ ISO 15156-2. Also we have approached earlier a lot of mills but no one prepare to do both HIC & SSC testing on same plate with heat numbers saying only one test ( HIC OR SSC)can be performed. I have checked Client Specification which calls for HIC testing and Inspection for qualification but no separate specification for SSC specified. i dont want that at later stage client raise concern why plate is not SSC tested

Your valuable input will be much appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) It is up to the end user to specify whether separate, specific SSC testing is required.

Some comments on your statements:

It is not correct for suppliers to state compliance on inspection documents; only the end user can certify that the material complies because they are the entity that is expected to know the service into which the material will be placed.

Satisfactory results of a HIC test do not automatically qualify the material for SSC resistance; it helps, but it isn't a guarantee.

Who prepared the datasheet - was it the client, or the contractor? It should tally with the specification.

Steve Jones
Corrosion Management Consultant

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

Thanks Steve for reply

Client hasn't specified anywhere SSC testing specifically to perform and neither in their standard & specification separate SSC testing Spec& Inspection form present unlike HIC whose Specification & inspection requirement to witness available( Not talking about NACE TM 0177).

Data sheet prepared by Client basic FEED Engineering contractor ( not us we are doing Procurement engineering, Construction Installation etc).

As per NACE MR 0175 Clause 7" No additional laboratory testing of pre qualified material selected in this way require"
Also based on most of the mill feed back HIC & SSC testing on same heat number steel plate cannot be possible either one of test can be done & all declined to perform both HIC & SSC test on the same plate.
Since HIC test is far more stringent to qualify and require extra care during plate manufacturing we proceed with HIC and already bought plate from Mill. frankly speaking its seems not practical the availability of plate having HIC & SSC testing on same heat number plate.

My only concern is later QA-QC or client shall not raise point of not performing SSC test on same heat number despite HIC qualified test report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back