Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HIC Test (API 5L 44th ED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepray

Marine/Ocean
Nov 7, 2007
AE
Hi,

Any know about this HIC test and SCC test for sour service?

Stated in latest API 5L, frequency of HIC test is "One test for each of the first three heats applied; thereafter, one test for each test unit of not more than ten heats of steel"

Does anyone know what it means by heat apply? Are they referring to per batch of the pipe or what.

Thanks. Appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sjones,

Can you please elaborate more? Does it mean a certain batch of steel plate made or line pipe. As we know the plate is made first and then plate are used to round into pipe and welded.

So this 'heat' means the batch from the plate or pipe.

Thanks

It has been decades since I was involved in line pipe. At that time, however, a heat referred to the steel mill heat from which the skelp was produced. At that time, API required mechanical testing to be performed at a specific frequency (a set a tests every x number of lengths produced), with a requirement that a heat control test be performed on each heat, but for a production run, only the prescribed frequency needed to be satisfied. This permitted a manufacturer to test each heat on receipt to insure mechanical properties and make only periodic tests during production to insure his process did not degrade the properties to the point of not meeting specification.

With that understanding, I would interpret your quote to mean that the first three heats applied to a production run had to have the H2S tests performed. After those three heats, H2S tests are to be performed at the normal testing frequency, with the additional requirement that no more than 10 heats be processed in between routine production tests. I have not, however, read the specification you are referring to and would need to read it to be sure that this understanding is correct.

If I were you, and I could not understand the intent of the API specification, I think I'd either call
1) a line pipe manufacturer
2) a testing lab that performs the H2S test in question, or
3) API
One, or all, of these should be able to give you a clear answer.

rp

Heat means as I have defined above, whether it be applied to plate or pipe. Pipe made from plate will have the same heat number as the plate. Since you would want to take samples for testing from finished pipe, then you would have to track back to the heat number. For production control, pipe mills may use the term 'batch' which may not directly relate to the heat, so it would be best not to confuse the terms.

Steve Jones
Materials & Corrosion Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back