Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hidden items don't stay hidden in assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

John2025

Industrial
Sep 12, 2007
PR
Hi All,
This is probably really simple but, when I hide a sketch, coordinate system, etc of a component in an assembly, the hidden items keep reverting back to shown. In a similar vein, when I pack an array, every time I open the assembly I have to go back and pack everything again. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want to hide lines, sketches, etc of the components, you should exclude them from the reference set you use in the assembly.

As for the packing issue, I think that is just the way it is. Perhaps using an assembly bookmark will help, though I can't say for sure.

I agree with cowski. The best way to show desired entities in an assembly is to use "reference set".

Have a question regarding assembly reference set. When I create a new reference set in assembly the components in the assembly will be selected automatically. How to turn this off?

If at all possible, PLEASE AVOID CREATING REFERENCE SETS IN AN ASSEMBLY!

Trust me, someday you'll thank me for that pearl of wisdom.
;-)

Reference Sets were designed to 'filter-out' non-model objects, such as reference geometry, points, datums, trimming sheets, sketches, etc, from a Component so that these superfluous items do not hang on and clutter up the product models (i.e. Assemblies) with stuff that has no value at that 'level' of inception.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Yep it's the old three levels assembly trick come to bite another user in backside! It is actually usable functionality, but tedious to explain. Maybe if I just say the reference sets within sub-assemblies retain a memory for which reference sets within their downstream components that are used then you'll realise that what you see at the top level is affected by that. Unless you've write access to at least the sub-assemblies at all times then you're going to be fighting to get the top assemblies to open as they appeared when last saved from one session to the next. If by now you are thoroughly confused then this functionality isn't for you and you have two choices both of which involve following John's sage advice.

You can either never create any reference sets in assemblies but only in components, and/or you can avoid creating assemblies that contain any geometry but only collect components. Using the later method even an assembly that inadvertently contains reference sets can be swapped to entire part and hopefully nobody will be the wiser.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

I agree with John and hudson, use 'entire part' for the reference set of assemblies when at all possible. Upon rereading my post I see there may be some confusion, let me change one thing:
If you want to hide lines, sketches, etc of the components, you should exclude them from the reference set of the component that you use in the assembly.

The way I read the opening post was that some unwanted geometry from the part file was showing up when it was added to an assembly and (s)he was trying to hide it at the assembly level. My advice was/is to create a reference set in the part file that includes only what you want to see in the assembly.

Now that said, if you really really want to create a reference set in an assembly and not include components automatically, there is an option in the customer defaults to turn this off. You can find it in Customer Defaults -> Assemblies -> Site Standards; there is an option on the bottom of this page 'Add Components Automatically' turn this off. The change will take effect next time you start NX and it will apply only to new files you create (not existing files, and possibly not files created from template files).

Cowski,
You're right about my initial question. I'm still new to NX and reference sets were one of those things that I'ld seen but not really paid any attention to yet. Thanks for the help. It's working like I wanted now. The other responses have been interesting as well. This really is a great forum.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back