Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hide part datum planes in assembly 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdic

Mechanical
Sep 30, 2009
Hello,

I am new to this forum (first post) and relatively new to ProE. This is probably a stupid question, but I cannot figure out how to have all part datum planes hidden and have the ability to turn those on that I want to see in an assembly. Assemblies with many parts are illegible with all planes turned on. Coming from Solid Edge, I would select the part and pick Show/Hide -> Planes from right-click menu.

I have figured out to turn all planes on in the assembly and go to each part and hide the planes individually from the model tree. This is very cumbersome for assemblies with many parts. There must be an easier/quicker way.

Thanks in advance for your help. My apologies for asking a seemingly simple question.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

abdic said:
Coming from Solid Edge, I would select the part and pick Show/Hide -> Planes from right-click menu.
proe%20icon%20Layer%20Toggle%20options.jpg"

Layer/Model Tree toggle icon]

You can use a Search to select all planes in Parts of an assembly to hide using the Search Tool CTRL+F and Choose to search for Features 1-3 in any part. When the Search tool is showing you can select all items that match criteria entered and hit >> to move them to the selection column on the Right and then perform the hide. Use the Options > Save Query to save your search to a custom Layer Name.
proe%20Find-Tool_search-rules_save-as-layer.jpg"

You can also permanently hide the datums in each part and only show them when needed. You can always select them from the Model Tree or even the Layer Tree when needed for references or mates.

If you are accustomed to using Hide/Show rather than layers you can do so but layers are extremely helpful in hiding some and not all items. If multiple parts have layers of the same name, you'll see under the Layer name Layer in Part "Part Name" so if you had three parts you wanted to show default datums for instead of picking 9 items you can select the 3 Plane Layers in the parts and show or hide just those ones. Another option you'll see if you define the Layers in an assembly or Drawing is Propagate Layers which will create identical layers if missing in lower level Parts/Assemblies.

There is an easier way to un-hide items than selecting each feature in the model tree.
At the top of the Layers Tree there is a hidden items list which only shows the hidden features arranged by part name. By CTRL selecting the items to show in the layer tree you can then right click and choose Un-hide or Remove items and they will be shown.
proe%20fast%20show%20hidden%20items%20by%20part.jpg

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back