Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hide selected parts of an assembly in drafting 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

venomex

Automotive
Jan 12, 2015
IN
Is there any way to hide selected parts of an assembly in drafting in a particular view(projected views may have same parts)
I've tried view dependent edit and hide parts.
Any other solution.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What version of NX are you running?

Go to the Command Finder and enter 'Hide Component' and this will show you the location of the 'Hide Component in View' function. This will do exactly what you're looking for.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

@ Mathi
I did not understand what you meant by bodies,
we can edit individual parts of an assembly, lines, curves, faces ,etc. in view dependent edit.

Well it's certainly more efficient to use 'Hide Component in View' as you can hide several Components at once from multiple views. It's also more efficient in terms of display update since less data needs to be evaluated.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

@ John
Yes, I was noticing that if I use view dependent edit, it is cumbersome and also the updated views are not as clear as the hide components in view.

@ Jerry
Ok, Thanks. Nice to know.

Is there any specific function for view dependent edit for which it was designed or is it becoming obsolete with introduction of new options in NX?

Hide component has been around for quite a while, and I do love this feature, but I have not used it in a while, as I have been mostly modeling since I have moved forward from NX6. My biggest complaint about "hide component in view" is that there is not a way to inherit what components are hidden. Having a dialogue like the "update view" dialogue would be awesome. We have had system requirements that require us to put all of one type of component on the same layer (for instance standard parts). I cant tell you the number of times I have finished a drawing/model only to have the checker find a standard part (that we leave at absolute and do not want displayed on the drawing) and had to go through a 10+ sheet layout and "hide component in view" to that same item in 50+ views and 10+ sheets.

I find it the most powerful when creating a large layout and in modeling I create/save a sacrificial view that I will delete later, I remove (hide component in view) all the components I want from that view
then I orient the view the way I want, then place that as the first view, and every view I fold from that original view will have adopted the same hidden components in each subsequent view. Very powerful if you don't want to manage components/assemblies with layers.

Your biggest worry as a new user of this feature (in a large user pool) is the panic your other users will have, when they cant find the component(s) in question when they "remove all view dependent edits" and realize they still cant see their components in a particular view(s).

Also you will find (at least in NX6 and older) that you cant use the ant in both directions to show and or hide components. Not sure why they did that, but my way around it was to place a small iso view with every component showing and select the items from there to "show component in view" in a particular view because they were either hard to find or not selectable since they were already hidden. For instance a particular fastener in a row you were looking down the point view of.

Let's not forget we can also Hide Components on the fly using Insert -> View -> Base View.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.2.5 Win7 Pro x64 SP1
Intel Xeon 2.53 GHz 6GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB

And is it possible to hide part present in sub-assembly of main assembly using this option?
While right clicking only the parts/assemblies one level below the main assembly were shown as possible options.

Main assembly
--Sub assembly ( of main assembly)
----Parts (of sun assembly) (not picked by hide component option9

Pratham Shetty,
Daimler Buses.
Using NX 9.0.3.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back