Hiding some elements (not interested) in ABAQUS results

Status
Not open for further replies.

meteuzuner

Mechanical
Nov 29, 2017
CA
Greetings,

I'm currently engaged in structural analyses using ABAQUS, and I frequently encounter stress singularities at the corners. I'm seeking a solution to conceal those regions and re-visualize the stress contours accurately, disregarding the erroneous maximums stemming from these singularities.

Any insights on achieving this would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, it is possible. However, I don't want to disturb the uniformity of the model view. Is there any chance that I can exclude the part I specified in the Display Group from the contour calculation?

The elements in the model corner will be visible, but the stress values will not be included in the contour drawing. I need to do this for an academic paper

2_bwokfg.png
1_o4jmmn.png

the sneaky way is to play with the legend ... set the legend with auto levels or presst (like every 10 ksi or 100 MPa) then change to lower bound of red to be the upper bound and increase the upper bound 10 ksi). if that looks too obvious, adjust other bounds too.

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

You could create a new field output request and exclude that region (defined as a set) from it (so just request output for a set not including this region). Then this area would be gray, showing no results available.

Why do this? Just adds complexity.

In either case, you need to explain the color of these elements.

Option 1: "These elements are red, appearing to have high stress. In reality this is a computational singularity due to the mesh and element size, and the actual stress at these elements is much lower."

Option 2: "These elements are gray, appearing to have no result. Actually, in the full result set they show high stress, but only because of computational singularities due to the mesh and element size, and the actual stress at these elements is much lower. Those elements have been masked from the results to not confuse the reader."

Yes, but it's up to the OP. If he wants to disable the contours for a specific region for whatever reason, he can do it as I described. Removing elements would also require an explanation. Normally, it's best to adjust the legend limits (values outside of the range will also be gray by default) but people may want to do it differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back