Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High Current Low Voltage Plug Connectors and Sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldyvb

Electrical
May 9, 2007
AU
Hi All,

We are currently completing some feasibility designs for some mobile mining units for a Client of ours. We have done similar units before where the transformer was located on the mining unit and powered via a 6.6kV trailing cable. In this case, they want to have an offboard 22kV/433V transformer and connect it up using low voltage plugs. We have done this before with Cavotec type single core plugs but these max out at about 600A, so to power this 2100A unit we would need 4 of these per phase plus neutral plus earth. Does anyone know of any other higher current plugs designed for use in a mining environment?

Many thanks

Michael

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I had thought that 'Powerlock' connectors had an 800A option, but maybe I'm wrong: We'd used the 400A units for some plant we're assembling for a project.

That said, what restrictions do you have on number of LV cables feeding the unit? Unless you can get suitable cable sizes to both support the current and reduce the number of connections, its probably a futile exercise.

We ended up with 4 per phase for different reasons (and nowhere near your predicted current levels), but its potentially still a factor for you.

Victor Products might have something, although I can't see much above 500A listed on the website. Quality is pretty much up there with Cavotec.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back