Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HIGH CYCLE BALL VALVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCANDOA

Industrial
Jun 25, 2003
US
Hi,
I'm looking for a ball valve that can withstand high operation cycles without leaking through the stem packing. I’ve only seen these types of valves for ANSI 600, any suggestions?

Description:
Isolation On-Off Ball Valve
Service: Gas
Ansi 1500 WCB Flange 4" (4x3) RJ (R39)
Temp: 100-120 ºF
Pressure: 1700-2150psig
Cycles: 1000-1500 Cycles/year

Regards,
Andres Ocando

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your cycle rate doesn't look that high to me either. I would try any of the big trunion ball-valve makers (I like Zy-Tec's PBV, but Grove, Cameron, and KF all make a good valve as well).

This is definately a trunion ball valve application. In case you're not familiar with the difference, a floating ball valve relys on dP across the ball to shift the ball into the downstream seat. A trunion ball valve has trunion bearings above and below the ball to hold it rigid and the seats (one on each side of the ball) are spring-loaded to push them into the ball. With 4 cycles/day the floating ball will tend to waller (a technical term from the south) out the upper (only) bearing and the shaft seal. A trunion ball valve will not have that problem.

With your conditions I'd wonder why you want a reduced port valve, if it is just cost then I'd guess you are looking at a false economy. You didn't specify the flow rate through the valve, but if I assume a 20-50 ft/sec velocity then at 2,000 psig you'd be flowing around 30 MMCF/d. If you take 1/4 psi pressure drop across the reduced port valve, then the annual energy to recover that parasitic pressure drop on 30 MMCF/d will be right at 1.4 MW. I pay more for a MW than the difference between the cost of a full-port and reduced-port 4-inch ball valve.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back