Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

High density RTD/resistance input cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyreInc

Electrical
Apr 7, 2011
US
Hello, I am looking for an analog input card or device that measures resistance, and interfaces with an Allen-Bradley PLC, preferably using Ethernet/IP. The measurement repetition rate should be less than 500ms or so, ideally less than 100ms. Resistance range is about 50-500Ω. We need 48 channels, so high density is valued. 12-bit resolution should be sufficient. What options are out there?

I have explored the brands Wago, Allen-Bradley, Advantech, B&R, and Beckhoff so far, but each of their solutions has various drawbacks.

I am open to using a voltage input card, but the full scale range would need to be around 200mV, not the standard 10V. And plus going that route would require pull-up resistors, complicating the panel wiring.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the quick response IR. Looks like that Keithley solution is close, but it looks like it does not offer any industrial comms protocols such as Ethernet/IP, Profinet, Modbus/TCP, etc. This needs to interface directly with an Allen-Bradley PLC.

The webpage I linked says "Standard LAN"

Clipboard02_tnqmwi.png

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Spectrum Controls has a line of analog input modules for Control and Compact Logix controllers. I use 1756-IF8Usc and 1769-IF8Usc with good success.
Link

Brad Waybright

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

Acromag's busworks series is modular I/O with preloaded comm protocols (including Ethernet/IP) in the bus network module.

The 6 minute video is a good summary:
Link

voltage input modules on this page:
Link

I didn't read closely enough to see if the RTD resistance input module would do 2 wire raw resistance over your range, but most I/O modules do.
temperature (resistance) modules on this page:
Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back