Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

High ductile requirements for T section 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

compe_ad

Civil/Environmental
Apr 20, 2022
US
Why most of the T-section does not satisfy the width-to-thickness requirement of high ductile members (Table D1.1 of seismic provision)? I am trying to use T-section for the top and bottom chords of special steel truss moment frame and looks like most of the section does not satisfy. What type of section will be appropriate for the top and bottom chords, any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

compe ad said:
Why most of the T-section does not satisfy the width-to-thickness requirement of high ductile members (Table D1.1 of seismic provision)?

Tee members are traditionally wide flange beams cut into Tee shapes. So it's unsurprising, to me at least, that a web thickness meant to be stocky when supported laterally top and bottom (WF) gets more slender when it becomes a cantilever (tee). Basically, because tees are derivative shapes, no one bothered to make their webs stocky for that scenario.

compe ad said:
What type of section will be appropriate for the top and bottom chords, any suggestions?

- Wide flange sections.

- HSS sections.

... probably other things that I've not thought of.

I designed a STMF about 3 years ago and it was a real PITA to make it work. I used heavy angle sections for the chords. See the AISC Seismic Manual for an example if you don't have it already, that's what I followed for the entire design. The example is about 40 pages long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back