Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High Energy Piping Systems 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

daddydart

Mechanical
May 29, 2008
US
What are the pressure/temperature boundary conditons of High Energy Piping Systems and where are they defined by NRC or ASME specifically?
I found this description in a document with no references:
"...high energy (pressure > 275 psi or temperature > 200 F) pipe ruptures..."

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It comes from the NRC's standard review plan. I found the definition in NUREG 0800, Chapter 3, Section 3.6.1 (Rev 2), Appendix A. Unfortunately, Rev 3 of this document uses the terms "high" and "moderate" energy, but doesn't define them.

You can find the standard review plan on the NRC's public web page ( select the electronic reading room, then collections of documents by type, then NUREGs, then NUREG 0800, then Chapter 3, and finally Section 3.6.1 Rev 2.
(or follow this link: and then select Section 3.6.1. (I tried a direct link, but it didn't work))

The definition of high energy that you gave is found on page 16.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

See
BTP 3-3 Protection Against Postulated Piping Failures in Fluid Systems Outside Containment (Former Section 3.6.1 BTP has been separated into an individual section.)

APPENDIX A
DEFINITIONS

Larry

Glad to be of help. Also it's great you found this site. I've found it to be invaluable over the years.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

I hate to hijack this thread but I am looking for an answer on a nuclear piping issue. I am creating a 3D model of some piping off the reactor for a CFD study that requiers 26" pipes (wall thickness 1.012"). I am wondering if anyone knows the dimensions of the inner and outter radius of these pipe elbows. Is there such a thing as a 'long radius' verus a short radius 26" pipe? I have found the standard radius charts for elbows up to 12" but nothing for pipes this diameter. Any info would be greatly appriciated and again, sorry for interrupting this thread!

David

Digital

The "correct" way to do it is to ask a new question rather than hijacking an old thread.

Also, you might be better off asking this in a mechanical forum. I'd suggest forum378 as you will get much more answers.

Patricia Lougheed

Is this 26 inch pipe reactor coolant loop piping? The loop piping is not "standard" stuff, the reactor vendor or their pressure vessel vendor typically designed the loop piping and it was manufactured. So, there should be drawings (some people call these "spool piece" drawings) that depict the bend radius. There will also be an ASME design report that would have the details. The point is, I don't think you will find your pipe in a catalog or in a ANSI piping standard.

All of the above is based on my experience in commercial reactor plants. If you are looking at something else, well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back