Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

high lift airfoil data for race car downforce/ground effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

racer777

Aug 11, 2002
AU
I'm 'designing' a race car that will have what is essentially a large inverted wing section as the body,to get max downforce ( with the leading edge between the front wheels and the trailing edge between the rears.) The top and bottom surfaces will have clean air- flow. The chord will be approx 2700mm ( 9 feet ), the span will be approx 1100mm ( 43") & the thickness approx 500 to 600mm ( 20-24").The 'wing' may include front leading wing slat & rear will have a seperate adjustable flap, as well as full side fences. The "working" speed range - between 50 to 120mph, drag will not be a concern,
Questions; =suggestions for airfoil profile data,soft-ware etc for a wing with such a low AR. 'lift' figure calc.
=how to calc centre of lift for front to rear balance of car - will rear 2nd flap alter this much?
=As this wing/body is operating close to the ground it will operate more like venturi tunnel setup and so what other complications / modifications to consider.
I'm a novice in the aeronautical field so any help in simple terms is greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Almost sounds like a supermodified... but clean air on the lower surface might be your problem as well as containing it with side skirts. Once you get in traffic the downforce will likely go away with this design.
Most effective wings are mounted above the car - Outlaw sprint cars, indy/FI rear wings, etc. to eliminate trying to package the drivetrain within the confines of a proper wing shape and keep the lower surface in clean air. If you have no rules, concentrate on making the tires aerodynamic, since that's your major air dam in an open wheel car.
There are a number of sites that have aero programs, so do a search for WING PROFILE or Aerodynamic Calculators. Martindales Ref Desk has a couple good links.
Good luck. Keep the wheels on the ground
Bob
showshine@aol.com

Sprintcar....Thanks for your reply- Additional information for your interest--this car is designed for "speed" events ( one car at a time ) on closed bitumen winding roads with varying gradients and the road surface is generally very smooth so I will use minimum suspension travel because of the downforce and to help with containing the reduced pressure with suitable side fences using min clearances. The idea is to have the engine and transmission (4wd),which are very compact, to fit in the thickess part of the wing-- that is why I am researching wing sections to see if it can accomodate this idea to achieve substantial downforce/grip.
Any hints / data from any-one on ground effects in relation to this concept? many thanks for any help.

It is a bad idea to put wings behind the front wheels because there is full of turbulence therefore you will have stalling. Most of the formula 1 cars have "dam" to seperate the turbulent and laminar flow before it enters the side cooled race car.

The ground effect is when a wing is near the ground. The stream lines of the downwash cannot bend alone without the wall: it is why we have to use an image. Ground effect is more easy to understand in case of a helicopter near the ground. For negatif lift, I believe you have to use an image too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back