Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High Performance Coating

Status
Not open for further replies.

daviv

Civil/Environmental
Feb 1, 2010
US
My project requires the contractor to apply a high performance coating to a canopy located at a cruise terminal. The specification states the steel which is hot-dipped galvanized shall be prepared in accordance to SSPC-SP2 (Hand Tool Cleaning)before the application of the primer. On the other hand, the supplier's preferred method of surface preparation is Abrasive Blast Cleaning which the contractor considers is a change order and will extend our project beyond what we would like. My question is Hand Tool Cleaning sufficient, with an inspector from a testing inspecting present during the coating process?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does "supplier" = primer manufacturer ?

I'd call the primer mfr's tech support, and not deviate from their recommendation.
I expect they publish detailed documents answering your exact question.

Are there finish coat surface quality expectations/requirements for the canopy?

High-performance coatings protect steel and other metals by creating a highly durable barrier between the metal and its service environment.
A high-performance coating on the other hand, can add a level of durability from light scuffing that is quick and easy to clean while simultaneously adding a pop of color to the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back