Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High Power Diode Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

comalcoeng

Electrical
Oct 26, 2003
AU
What are the failure characteristics of silicon diodes? Do they usually completely fail or deteriorate over time? I have a bank of 162 * 400Amp, 1000Vdc diodes to test for reverse leakage current and forward voltage drop versus their specs. However, I am unsure sure if the test results show a large proportion of the population are within X% of the spec value, ie: how far away in % from the spec value can the test results be before we decide that that diode is classed as failed? The diodes are pretty old but still functioning. I guess I am just uncertain as to the failure mechanism of silicon diodes and want to know more.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe not really the answer on your question but:

many cases of equipment failure may be determined by inspection of diode or thyristor silicon tablets. Adhering to manufacturer's specs for torque or pre-load pressures, surface finish of heatsinks and properly calibrated clamps could save expencive, if not catastrophic failurers in high-power equipment. Simple good houseceeping practices (periodically checks for loose wiring, dust, carbon tracking, discoloration of aux. components and pressure settings of clamps) could result in many years of fault-free operation.

Some guidelines and possible causes:

1.Severe burning and silicon damage on surface.
Misaligned heatsinks, incorrect clamping, high current surge due to external short-circuit. [/red]

2.Servere burning and silicon damage at gate area.
Insufficient inductance in circuit or high surge current (di/dt). [/red]
Insufficient gate drives, faulty or incorrect RC network, gate/aux. cathode cables reversed.[/red]

3.Burning and carbon tracking at edge of silicon.
Voltage break-over due to excessive transients, blocking voltage degraded as a result of device running too hot, faulty snubber or transient suppressor components.[/red]

4.Silicon damage with "hot-spot" on surface.
Transient or dV/dt failure, snubber or transient suppressor components faulty.[/red]

5.Device short circuit (not blocking).
Blocking Voltage breakdown. If no visible damage to silicon, the element is most likely cracked as a result of severe over-clamping, oadly misaligned heatsinks or locating pin, or mechanical shock. It is unlikely that a fracture will be seen due to the tablet being sandwitched between the discs.[/red]

6.Device short circuit with exposed silicon.
Over-clamping or possibly misaligned heatsinks.[/red]

RCC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back