Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High pressure, high temp non-metallic pipe?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillwynston

Mechanical
Feb 5, 2007
GB
Good day everyone,
I have the need to source some non-metallic pipe/tubing that can withstand pressures of up to 7.5bar and temperatues of 170C. I have had experience with rubber and know of products that withstand 130C but not for long periods. Could someone advise on a material I can use? The OD of the pipe is 54mm. I have googled but have found nothing yet!!

Thanks for listening!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Lots of stuff. Kynar (PVDF). What reason for non-metallic? Flexibility, corrosiveness? Can it be wire-reinforced hose?
Stainless braid-wrapped Teflon tubing?

You're too hot for PVDF, even as a lining material for metallic hose or pipe. Typically you stop using this material at about 135 C.

PFA or PTFE would be your best choice as a lining material for a metallic component. PFA piping components, unreinforced, will not withstand this combination of pressure/temperature even in the short term- pretty much regardless of size.

Most of the composite piping materials are also not recommended beyond about 130-150 C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back