High Pressure Horizontal Autoclave Feasability

Status
Not open for further replies.

asalisbury

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2024
US
Howdy Everyone,

I am working on a feasibility study for a high pressure horizontally oriented autoclave, or HIP (hot isostatic press) and need some help with the thought experiment and general design. This machine will need to have the following characteristics - Pressure: 15,000psi | Temp: 800°C | Length: 84in. | Diameter: 32in. I am wondering if anyone has ideas on the following: How to load this system; names of any companies that create machines within the previously listed parameters; and how this thing will be closed. The machine will be used for a carbon fiber densification process with a petroleum-based substance. Let me know if you have any questions that can help narrow down the thought experiment.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are a couple of people in the US and a few in Europe that can build this.
Your conditions are fairly mild for HIP.
Most are built vertical for packaging reasons, but if you have the space horizontal would work.
Most likely loaded by a handler on rails. That will take at least 2x the vessel length.
The are usually bayonet lock breach with an external retaining yolk.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

I have found four American manufacturers of HIPs: Quintis, AIP, EPSI, and PTI. Do you know of anymore in the United States that make products like this?

asalisbury
EIT Mechanical
Aerospace Composites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back