Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High-pressure vessel locking & pass-through fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omri17

Mechanical
Jan 9, 2022
IL
Hello everyone,

I'm designing a small (Ø110[mm] bore size and 230[mm] bore length) pressure vessel that should hold 360[bar] with maximum loss of 0.1[bar] per minute.
The vessel needs to be opened from the top and the locking method should be of bayonet type. I also need to pass some wires through the head of the cylinder and for that I thought of using conax's pass-through products.

I'd be happy to hear your tips about the locking mechanism and the use of the pass-through fittings. I know dont have a specifiec question here, just want to hear some thoughts and tips about these subjects and requiremens as Im currently on the research stage.

Cheers,

Omri

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

For rules and guidance refer to ASME BPVC VIII-1, UG-35.2 and Nonmandatory Appendix FF (I am assuming that you are fabricating this to ASME Section VIII, Division 1 - even though you didn't say)

More information may be found in EN 13445-5, C.5.

Omri17, assuming no extreme temps, I'd say seal your closure with an O-ring, held in place by any convenient arrangement. See the Parker O-ring handbook for details.

You could seal the "wire with a Conax fitting. Note the "wire" must be pressure tight as well.

Regards,

MIke

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Omri17,

I was wondering if you can provide a sketch that shows what exactly you are doing. Unless you explain everything very clearly you may not get adequate answers, a sketch is the best way.

Additionally, please explain which conax through product was selected for the purpose, and how you are going to attach this product on to the nozzle you described. Does conax provide you a cable through sealing for that pressure with the pressure loss you are after. I guess the best answer can be provided by Conax for sealing and where to attach the product.

In case the product externally threaded, and you can seal it completely for the pressure, you may be able to attach a plug (which is designed to have the pressure) either internally or on a blind flange on the nozzle. All depends on the operation with the conax through product, how often you will take it for service, what are the safety measures for the internal pressure and perhaps temperature that you did not mention.

I trust this is sufficient.

Use O-rings and backing rings, usually in a stack.
We had a small isostatic press, 6" bore.
It would sit at 40ksi all day with such an arrangement.
The surface finish in the seal area is critical and life of the O-rings is short.
There needs to be some lubricant on the seal, so either the working fluid or a small amount of synthetic grease.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back