Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High-Res. Ink jet printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzracer2

Industrial
Mar 20, 2003
US
Has anyone here have sucess story for installing high resolution ink jet coders in a harsh enviroment? We install Marsh brand a few years ago and have had nothing but trouble since then. Every salesman tells you his brand will work but I would like to here a fellow engineers story.
We print bar codes and date codes on our corrigated cases @ up to 1000 case/hr. Does anyone think that label applicators would work in this situation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A couple of years ago at my last company we had installed an inkjet printer on a Wire and cable extrusion line, it ran at about 200 f/min. It worked great, can't remember the brand but it was one that was geared to the wire and cable industry. We did have some initial problems but after we brought the supplier in to train myself and the operators, everything ran smoothly.

Al

I work in a cable shop and have experience with an ink manufacturer, Gem Gravure, that sells Domino brand printers. The printer is reliable and Gem has an excellent engineering support staff. Their telephone number is 781-878-0456. Domino printers will handle bar codes and date codes. The printer is set up in an unairconditioned Florida warehouse.

YZRacer:

I have worked with Marsh Unicorn printers for a similar application, though I don't think they did bar-coding, and found them to be pretty tough, as long as you are careful to line up the printer with the product being printed. (Crashes are not allowed!)

Their LCP series might do it.

To answer your question: Yes, a label applicator would work, though your environment may raise the price. Also, alignment considerations may also be just as tough as using an inkjet.

If you are still having problems with those printers you might want to try some inks from OEM Ink Supply (203) 948-2322. Their inks actually work better than the other inks that are out there.
Check it out and good luck!

I'm a designer at a WPL/checkweigher company and we do label applicators/chemithermal and thermal transfer printing at upto 200 packs/minute and 300DPI. I am wondering about developing an inkjet based direct to pack printer and wondered what people's experiences are with these types of head?

Also, any one got a wish list for me to think on. It's really useful to get opinions and experiences from real users.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back