Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High Resistance Grounding Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkyJunior

Electrical
Aug 16, 2005
US
Just seeking advice of the higher powers on this board. I have a client who has three ungrounded secondary unit substations. They want to connect high resistance grounding units to these substations. I understand the concept of these HRG units but I am not sure of how to physically wire them. Do you need a secondary feeder breaker to feed these units or can you tap directly off the transformer neutral?

I believe the units are Eaton C-HRG.

The Contractor is asking that we provide a secondary feeder breaker when wiring these HRG's. From my reading I thought you only need a direct connection from transformer neutral to the HRG, hence not needing this secondary breaker.

Any information you guys have, as always, is appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, are the transformer windings delta or ungrounded wye? If the winding is delta, there is no neutral to connect to.

For a wye transformer, you just need a HRG unit with a resistor and associated fault sensing equipment and it is connected to the transformer neutral (and ground, of course). There is no circuit breaker in the neutral.

For a delta winding, you will need some type of grounding transformer, either a delta-wye or zig-zag unit plus the grounding resistor. This can all be provided in one package or the grounding transformer can be a separate item.

The plan may be to monitor the current through the grounding resistor and shunt trip the breaker open in the event of a ground to avoid or reduce arcing damage. When this is done, the breaker or contactor will be a part of the HRG unit and the complete assembly will be approved.
If this is just a disconnect without alarms to indicate an open breaker I would strongly resist the installation of a breaker. In Canada an automatic breaker in a grounding conductor is prohibited by Rule 10-800 of the CEC.
respectfully

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back