Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High-resolution tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niclas

Civil/Environmental
Sep 13, 2003
SE
I am working on a project to map river currents in northern Sweden and need a device that allows the position of a small float to be tracked with sub-meter accuracy. The idea is to let the float travel downstream for a few hundred meters and continuously (at least once a second)track its position, either internally (GPS/DGPS) or externally with triangulation techniques.

I wonder if anybody could recommend a technique that would be both cheap and roboust. The float might occasionally be hidden behind boulders in the river, so triangulation based on signal strength seems unreliable. What is the accuracy of the so-called "signal phase shift" technique?

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated!
/Niclas

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have worked on some similar problems with ROV's, from my experience you might want to look at an underwater acoustic system try SSBL (super short baseline) or USBL (ultra short baseline). The systems are definately robust and designed to be imersed. They are also relatively expesive

Try for some ideas.

GPS systems in bouys will work especially an RTK setup that is self triggered by timing (ie. x number of times per sec.) or by position changes (ie. once per sensed meter movement) , however proximity of the equipment to the water surface can create multipath nightmares, and accidental equipment dunkings and less than 100% recovery rates are expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back