Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

High rise window fail in San Francisco storm 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not at all surprised by the glass failing; it's a common problem in tall buildings, where stresses build up over time from building settling or movement, and the mounting has only so much compliance. My son lives in a 8 story condo and most of his front facing windows are cracked.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Is there an issue with tempered glass slowly relaxing the built in stresses over time, since glass is considered a 'supercooled' liquid. I understand some medieval stain glasses have 'flowed' a tad, and created an opening (Myth... see below).

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

thanks IRS... didn't know that. Excellent link...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Given the amount of it, can the internal stress, relax over a period of time?

-----*****-----

-Dik

There have been some high rise glass failures due to nickel sulphide inclusions. I think there will be an investigation, which will find the cause in this case.

Given the amount of it, can the internal stress, relax over a period of time?

As the article indicates, glass is not a "supercooled fluid", but an amorphous solid, i.e., it has no general or pervasive crystalline structure, but has, relatively small domains of crystallinity. The bottom line is that glass, tempered or otherwise, basically doesn't change, on the order of centuries, if not millenia. It's no different than, say, Damascus steel, in retaining its mechanical properties. It's by far more robust than Teflon, which actually does flow under pressure.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Without any equivocation, for once, one can actually state, "This is Trump's fault", as 555 California St. is owned in part by the Trump organization & Vornado Realty Trust.

As a teenage summer job I worked for a glazing company. AC Yule in Aberdeen and its still quite surprising seeing jobs I worked on 35 years ago still looking good.

The safety glass you could throw bowling balls, hammers what you like at it in the scrap skip and they would just bounce out. If you wanted to break it to get more in the skip you just tapped the edge with a toffee hammer and the whole lot would go.

Its something to do with the result of the tempering process.

Glass does change over time, normal glass pre tempering you have about 1-2 years after manufacturing to cut it or form it. After that it gets much more brittle and unworkable in a cold state. If its been processed/treated it is of course unworkable.

A can't give a reference to it, its just experience.

Oh there is a rod of glass in either the science museum or one of the UK classical university's which is suspended horizontally between 2 supports which has a bit of a visual sag in the middle. Its 300-400 years old and the sag is mm over a 3ft length.

We had a lecture on glass in materials, from memory the modern stuff is completely different to the pre WW2 stuff which quite a lot of it is in modern standards higher than acceptable radioactive.

And to note there are glass instruments of the same era as the rod and there is no noticeable or measurable changes and they include optical glassware.

Not that it will be a factor in this case.

I suspect the window has flexed in its mount and moved over the years to get the edge into contact with something, maybe a screw head not put in flush, hard enough to trigger the self destruction mode of a side tap to the edge.

Glass is amazing stuff. We only got 1 lecture on it and the summary was its doesn't work the way you think it should, but its amazing stuff.

If you look at the videos, it appears that the glass panels didn't disintegrate until they hit the ground. In the air, they were still large, single pieces of glass. And if you look in one shot, it showed a window with only a portion of the glass missing, like a chunk broke out, away from the rest of the window which was still in the frame.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

that Pilkington link has the links to the UK codes on the subject I think.

UK though did change things after the PIRA bombing in London which basically blew out all the windows in the area.

I am no expert but if its big shards then it just annealed plain glass not tempered I think.

No clue all the stuff I was involved with was either double glazing units or Cordonas bowling alley in Aberdeen with single pane stuff and that we had great fun trying to break in the scrap skip until someone nearly got brained by a bowling ball lobbed off the roof and bouncing.

UK the firemen have a tungsten carbide tipped bolt gun that breaks them. Bit like the emergency hammers on trains but on steroids. They use it on car windows as well.

They press the front on which pushes back a safety interlock and they can release the spring.

I carry a tungsten-tipped tool in my car to break the windows. It also has a blade to cut your seat-belt. And yes, I keep it where I can reach it at any time. And there's a second one in my wife's car, also where it can be easily reached.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back