Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High side to low side and back again

Status
Not open for further replies.

logoslarry

Mechanical
Oct 15, 2002
CA
Just wondering if it is possible to set up a high side and a low side screw compressor so that either one could be the other. Umm, best clarify a bit.
Arrange piping and valves so that if your booster goes down you can switch the high side compressor over to low side. Of course you would also have to have a switchable control panel so the high side would "know" it is now a booster. Use motorized valves for speed and convenience.

Has anyone ever done something like this? Is it possible? If not, why?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ive heared of it being done Its called a swing compressor. Has to have special pipeing on the suction and discharge line.probably with automatic valves.On our compressor packages we have schedule 1,2,3,4 you would just set up one schedule for booster and one schedule for high stage and the compressor will automatily run on what ever schedule you have it set on. hope this answers your question.

AHA! Thought so! I've been talking to my boss about it and he can't quite grasp it. Thanks for the ammo. Now if only I could find some sites where they discuss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back