Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

High Speed Aluminum Extrusion - Cutting Along the Length (not across)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmarkus

Mechanical
Jul 11, 2001
CA
I have a need to create 2 parts from a single extrusion where the cut line is made along the length of the extrusion. The cut has a jog to it (think of a lightning bolt shape), so I can't use a simple chop saw or the like. I am interested in what high speed, production volume methods are available. I was looking at laser cutting (e.g. Trumpf TruLaser Tube machines), but I need to cut through an extrusion with internal webs and a profile approximately 35mm x 75mm in cross section and I didn't think the laser could penetrate that deep. I also thought about waterjet cutting, but I was of the understanding that it would be too slow a cycle time (correct me if I am wrong).

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While extrusion dies are cheap, aluminum is not. I don't want to scrap half the material each time I make a part.

Jeff

Vertical band saw. If finish is a problem then increase extrusion width and mill after sawing.

You may have a problem keeping the part straight when you split the part and when you mill the part.

Maybe he could get the shape by impact extrusion in one hit. ... but we don't know, because the desired shape has not been revealed.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

That's a tough one. I'd try water jet and if that did not work, hot wire cutting, if that was too expensive, outfit a vertical bandsaw with a round abrasive blade. Two big questions are how much do you have to make and what is your budget?

300,000/yr and I don't have a budget - I'm trying to get a sense of whether or not this is a cheaper alternative to 2 separate extrusions.

Thanks,
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back