Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High Speed Motor (26,000 RPM -- 20HP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfaucher

Mechanical
May 18, 2004
CA
I'm looking for a high speed electric motor (probably brushless DC) to supply up to 20HP at 26,000 RPM. It is a non-continuous application (periods of 5 minutes only). I will need to control the motor with a drive to accurately fix output RPM at different values for engineering testing purpose. A centrifugal fan is to be driven by this engine (no shock, no radial load).

Motor suppliers (like Baldur) just don't make engine at that speed level. R/C model airplanes use brushless DC motor up to 30,000 RPM (even more), but usually are limited to 8 or 10 HP.

Does someone know a place where I could find (or have it built from my specs) such engines?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try

[link ]
btn_liprofile_blue_80x15.gif" width="80" height="15" border="0" alt="View Clyde's profile on LinkedIn
[/url]

Check out Electric Apparatus Co. in Howell MI. I'm not sure they can reach 26000rpm but I have motors from them running 22500rpm.

I doubt that you will find an off the shelf motor that can be run at 8x nominal speed without coming apart in a spectacular manner. That 24,000 rpm is based on a 2 pole motor with no slip.

I don't think anyone was sugesting that you run a motor designed for 60 Hz @ 400 Hz.
I have seen portable tools, grinders, drills and small pumps designed for 400Hz
If a reciprocating motorcycle engine can run at 17,000 revs it should be a piece of cake for a well balanced squirel cage motor.
Aircraft also use 400 Hz
Roy

Reuland makes high speed AC motors up to 40,000RPM, partial motors up to 100,000RPM.

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back