Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High Strength Wood Diaphrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

openam

Structural
Mar 3, 2004
US
I'm looking at an existing building with heavy brick walls and a wood diaphragm. They want to do a seismic upgrade to the building. I'm having a hard time finding shear values that would be high enough to take the load.

There is a possibility of the 3x framing members with (2) rows of fasteners, but I'd rather not put in too many new members. I'm trying to find values for thicker plywood. Does anyone know if you can use 3/4" plywood and get a greater design value out of it? If so where can I get the information on such panels?

Thanks,
Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If 2 sides of 5/8" structural plywood at a gruesome nailing pattern won't carry your load, you must use a different material to accomplish it. Try masonry, steel, or concrete reinforcement.

Look in your code book for the 3/4" plywood shear values. Like Bob indicated consider using plywood on both sides. Three inch base plate and doubling the studs may help.

just for kicks and giggles you better check your aspect ratio as well. Masonry walls with a wood diaphragm have to have a rather stocky aspect ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back