Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High Temp./ Abrasion Resistant Material

Status
Not open for further replies.

AggieEngr

Industrial
May 12, 2004
US
Hello All,

I am currently developing a fixture that will be used in both Torch brazing and sandblasting operations.

The fixture will need to withstand temperatures in the range of 1800 degrees F. Also, it is going to be used in a following sandblast operation for flux and braze material removal.

Does anyone have a suggested material in mind?

Thanks for the consideration!

AggieEngr

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Machinable Ceramics, Quartz or Saphire come to mind but would not likely have the abrasion resistance you would need in your sandblasting operation. Can the process support an actively cooled steel fixture?

Regards

Anything exposed to sandblasting will be eroded to some degree and thus will be consumable. In shotblast booths rubber sheeting is used to protect the steel structures and are replaced as worn. Drape your fixture with rubber sheeting away from the torch.

Tungsten carbide grippers could be used to hold the part. Woven fiberglass cloth could be used to protect the fixture from heat but would erode in the blasting operation. Consumables would be the fiberglass cloth, the rubber sheeting and the exposed clamping fingers.

I agree with PSE active cooling would be a good option for temperature reduction in the fixture.

I have an outdoor conveyor transfer point where the material comes off a stationary conveyor and drops onto the tail of a conveyor which is hinged at the tail to allow the head to move up and down. The transfer chute itself is 2 pieces, the top stationary one extends down into the lower section which moves with the conveyor. This creates a containment for large material but not dust. The dust generated is removed via a dust collector. The conveyed material also reacts when exposed to water creating heat which when combined with the product temperature can be in excess of 250 deg. F.

The joint was designed to be sealed with a "boot" of pliable material to allow movement but still be impervious to the heat. The product dust which accumulates on the outside of the boot is exposed to the weather (moisture) and eventually burns the seal away. Two materials have been tried, the original material was EPDM followed by natural gum. I am looking for a replacement material for the boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back