Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

High temp bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

elvey

Electrical
Nov 23, 2000
GB
We are trying to source 2 bearings with external gear, similar to a slewing ring. Max od 519mm ID = 341mm This is to support a horizontal rotating high temp incinerator made from a special type ceramic. The problem is that the ambient temp is too high for the bearings.
We were wondering if anyone knows of a oil or water cooled bearing or technique.
The temperature at the bearings is in the order of 600-800 deg. Cent.
Within the tube ( reactor ) it is approx 1800 C .
RPM is approx 3-5 rpm... All is housed in a nitrogen purged st/st tank.
We have tried most major bearing mnfrs. But zilch. Help, or are we trying to do the impossible.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe equipment such as you describe is usually supported by rollers. Through a combination of refractory lining and/or tortuous heat flow path, the temperature at the bearings in the rollers is kept low enough for standard bearings. The rollers on one end are driven, and the other supported end has idler rollers. Of course, radial and axial thermal expansion must be taken into consideration. Look at equipment such as calciners or cement kilns to see how others have dealt with the problem.

Hello

I'm the engineering design manager at a bearing manufacturer, send me your problem, and I will forward it onto the relevant people.
Quick Note: The highest we have done successfully is 240 deg.C, but we love a challenge.
nigel_hoyle@eu.fmo.com
If you have already approached us try DEVA in Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back