Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High temperature plastic piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOHC

Automotive
Oct 17, 2010
NL
Hello,

Is there a plastic that will withstand 1000-1400F heat?
I've head a quick look but couldn't find anything that would go above 300F except for UHT that does 900F.

Are there any other composite materials that can handle that kind of heat that would more cost-effective than metals?

I'm looking for heat insulating,low conductivity, low weight properties.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Start learning about phenolic resin based composites.
Phenolic resin is not expensive, and not exotic, but a little weird.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

There are polymer matrices that can be used up to 700 to 800F. Phenolics are useful up to 350 to 400F. Phenolic and other some other resins are used as precursors for carbon-carbon composites that are used at up to 3000F in non-oxidizing environments. There is no plastic that can work at 1400F.

Agree with 'pro. The highest temp capable polymers that I'm aware of are polyimides and the related phenylethynyl-terminated imides (PETIs). You might get a service temperature of about 770 deg F from those, especially with a few fibers to keep the heat distortion temperature up.

Hadn't heard of thet UHT resin (just loooked it up). Intriguing. 900 deg F is now my new record holder! (Not sure if it counts as a polymer with Si instead of C? Probably I guess. A sort of ceramic polymer?)

Unfortunately I'd guess that your requirements may be pointing you towards ceramics. Unless you can tolerate really low strengths you're definitely not going to be cost competitive with metals.

I think you may find that for cost and manufacturability it's better to go with a metal duct with a well designed insulation blanket. 1400°F just seems outside the realm of any organic chemisty with the exception of Carbon Carbon.

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back