Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

High Temperature Resistant Low Thermal Conductive Material

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorst

Jan 31, 2017
SE
Hi fellow engineers,

For an application I need to protect a connector from temperatures up to 700°C from conductive heat transfer.
The connector support is metal on a metal pipe of which the latter contains hot air with above temperature.
Between this support and the connector I want to put a piece of material X to stop the conductive heat transfer.
Anyone experience with or knowledge of materials with low thermal conductivity and able to sustain continuous temperatures of up to 700°C?

Any tips are welcome [bigsmile]

/Sidney

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suppose making something out of the same material as the Space Shuttle heat shield tiles is out of the question... [purpleface]

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

What temperature will the connector tolerate?

What are your space constraints?

With the above, what conductivity do you need?

Does that material exist?

At these temperatures you shouldn't be ignoring radiation.

Some sort of ceramic is an option.

Try looking at furnace lining material.

They aren't very strong though and can be quite brittle

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Hahaha, I need some very good arguments if I want to pull that off. [tongue]
Now thinking of using a piece of or blanket made from ECR Glass Fiber, those can handle 750°C.

The space shuttle ablative tiles were fabricated from an epoxy resin and Phenolic Microballoon mixture. Strong with pretty good insulating properties. You could also use glass microballoons.

Good Luck,
Latexman

Google "over the insulation pipe supports". Typically a rigid or semi-rigid insulating material such as calcium silicate or rigidized ceramic fibre shapes are used for insulation of the hot pipe, and then a pipe support is used to support the pipe insulation at the exterior. At 700 C, you have to worry not just about conduction but also about radiant heat transfer.

Before you go gallivanting to the "best" material, you need to clearly define your requirements.

How LONG must the insulation protect this connector? How thick can you make it? How much heat/temperature can the connector tolerate? How much cooling can you apply to the connector?

If the answer is "always, then you need to determine how much heat flux is tolerable for the connector, AND THEN determine the appropriate material and thickness.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

some geopolymeric cements are good to 2500 F (1371 C), but the design should be configured to ensure it remains in compression. Also hight temp applicaitons can often make use of radiation shields to reduce heat flux.

"...when logic, and proportion, have fallen, sloppy dead..." Grace Slick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back