Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

High Temperature Servo-Actuators (500-1000F)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aphocks

Mechanical
Mar 12, 2024
US
Hey Folks, I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this but I could use some advise on a concept that's been bumping around in my head.

There are no high temperature actuators with accurate position control that I am aware of. Specifically 0.001 in accuracy at 500-1000 degrees F, for applications where you might need to manipulate something hot, or in a hot environment, you must use an insulated/cooled standoff to keep the functional components at a distance from the heat. I have an idea however that would allow for a servo-hydraulic-like actuator that can operate in-situ in these extreme environments.

My concerns are that this concept will require significant R&D and I want to see if I might be missing something obvious for why this is a bad idea. I see these things as being obstacles or reasons for why no one has sought out a solution for this problem;
1. the technology would be prohibitively expensive/complex for the industries where it might be useful
2. the technology will not work well enough to replace current systems
3. no one has though it was possible so no one investigated it, as such no engineer designing foundries for instance has attempted to incorporate such a device.

some industries I could see needing this technology:

aerospace; exploration of "hot" space like sun-facing components, or exploration of hot planets/moons like Venus, or for control surface actuation in hypersonic aircraft.
manufacturing; forging, foundries, glass making, ect.
energy; nuclear industry in "hot" zones, molten salt power generator stations.
mining/oil & gas; high temperature drilling and extraction.

the main advantages to such an actuator would be a more compact design that might have less impact on the overall system. For example rather than needing long connecting rods that pierce protective barriers to separate the actuator from the work, you could place the actuator right in the action, simplifying containment and handling.

I would be willing to elaborate some on the concept but I want to keep the specifics to myself for now, I know this sounds pretentious, so I hope you all will understand. I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back